ASHEVILLE, N.C. (FOX Carolina) – After the Buncombe County government declared a local state of emergency Thursday, Asheville City Schools says they are taking steps to minimize exposure to the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19.
ACS says the district is cancelling all field trips for students, including local, in-state, out-of-state, and international trips effective Monday, March 16. All staff travel outside of the ACS district is also canceled effective March 16. These cancellations will remain in effect until further notice.
The district has also chosen to cancel rentals for inside facilities, effective Monday. As of now, organizations can still rent outside athletic facilities.
ACS notes that the North Carolina High School Athletic Association has already suspended all high school athletics statewide effective Friday, March 13th at midnight until Monday, April 6th. This included workouts, skill development, practices, and contests. ACS will follow the same protocol with middle school athletics.
So far, there are no confirmed COVID-19 cases in Buncombe County.
Upstate News Headlines
- Weekend Things to Do: Greenville South Carolina
- South Carolina Reports 3,567 New Cases as DHEC Gives COVID-19 Vaccine Update
- Inaugural poet Amanda Gorman: 'Even as we grieved, we grew.'
- Vice President Harris: A new chapter opens in US politics
- LIVE: Biden sworn in as America's 46th president, Harris becomes first female VP
- Carolina prisons get first wave of COVID-19 vaccine doses
- US Surgeon General Jerome Adams asked to step down by Biden team
- ‘Tiger King’ Star Joe Exotic Expected Pardon From President Trump, Books Limo
- SCEL: No Tuesday winner, Mega Millions jackpot now up to $970 million
- The Latest: Biden calls on Americans to overcome divisions
- Read the letters outgoing presidents left for their successors in the Oval Office