Some films simply have it rough. They’re troubled through production, through release, and through reception, with seemingly every bit of luck landing against them. To be the director or producer of such a film, one would have to question at some point whether a curse has been leveled against you.
And then there’s the likes of The New Mutants, which takes idle phrases like “bad luck” and “development hell” to the next level. Even in the annals of “troubled” studio films, this Marvel superhero entry stands out for just how many times it has been either delayed or entirely derailed. Most recently? The New Mutants made it within three weeks of a wide studio release before being taken off Disney’s release schedule (along with Mulan and others) once again, due to the ongoing novel coronavirus/COVID-19 outbreak that has thrown worldwide film culture into an era of uncertainty.
For some of the other films, it was an undeniably bad break. But for The New Mutants, it was just one more entry in a seemingly unending series of misfortunes, which has to make one wonder if we’re destined to never see a proper release at all. This film has now been given no fewer than four release dates, from April 13, 2018 to April 3, 2020, and missed them all, having been in active development since 2015.
Here then, from the beginning, is a brief history of everything that has gone wrong with Fox’s—and then Disney’s—The New Mutants.
— Josh Boone is
Upstate News Headlines
- Trump Appears to Throw Georgia Governor Kemp Under the Bus for Election Loss
- Clemson Moves to #3 in Latest AP College Football Poll
- Coroner’s office identifies passenger killed in collision north of Easley
- COVID-19 Vaccines Likely To Be Distributed Before Biden Inaugurated, Doctor Says
- DHEC: Two Upstate counties see highest number of new cases in latest COVID-19 update
- GCSO: Possible kidnapping victim located safe, carjacking investigation still ongoing
- Coroner identifies driver who died after running off roadway, hitting fence, utility box, tree in Union Co.
- Troopers: Driver dies after running off roadway, hitting fence, utility box, tree in Union Co.
- Latest Update on Major Snowstorm That Could Impact North Carolina Mountains
- Transylvania Co. deputies investigating shooting incident after argument turns deadly